Jordan Cooper has the energy, enthusiasm, and the will to make things better in Annapolis.Doyle NiemannMaryland State Delegate '03 - Present
Good GovernanceA vibrant and healthy democracy requires that an informed public be actively engaged in the selection of its representatives. Exercising your right to vote is the most direct manner of ensuring that you receive the very best service by advocates who care. Rates of voter turnout can be increased, especially in off-year (non-presidential) gubernatorial primary elections, by making the polls more accessible to those wishing to vote.
Once our votes are cast, elected representatives must be held accountable to their electorate. Investigative journalism is a public service that is tasked with holding our government accountable for its actions. As your Delegate I will support public-private partnerships that advance investigative journalism in Maryland.
Accountability can be further advanced only in the context of reasonably apportioned districts. As much as I prefer having additional Democrats in Congress, gerrymandered districts disenfranchise Marylanders and contribute to partisan polarization by removing incentives for candidates to appeal to the wider public. Similarly, we must ensure that the process and financial cost of being elected does not unduly diminish the voices of everyday voters relative to those entities that are able to make large financial contributions.
Legislative Action Items:
- Gerrymandering Reform: Empower the independent, non-partisan Department of Legislative
Services with the authority to redistrict legislative districts based
upon population shifts as recorded in the U.S. Census.
- Special Elections to Replace Appointments: 1 in 3 current members (12 of 32) of the Montgomery County Delegation to Annapolis has been appointed to either the House or Senate over the course of their legislative careers. This needs to stop. Frequent vacancies should be filled by voters in the next regularly scheduled election and in the interim may be filled by gubernatorial appointment of those who agree not to run in the next election.
- Investigate the feasibility of establishing a partially publicly
financed, structurally independent body dedicated to investigative
- Investigate the feasibility of expanding public financing of campaigns beyond gubernatorial races.
- Increase the allocation of funds to provide for the employment and training of Legislative Aides, Student Pages, and Executive Branch Fellows (to be created with this funding stream) for the purpose of incubating Maryland’s future civic leaders.
Jordan will do an excellent job representing District 16 in the House of Delegates. With Jordan in a leadership role in Annapolis, Montgomery County will get an excellent delegate who knows how to strengthen our economy, reduce the cost of healthcare, and improve the educational system for all Maryland students. He has my full support and I look forward to working with him in the Maryland General Assembly.
Victor RamirezMaryland State Senator '11 - Present
Maryland State Delegate '03 - '11