Jordan P. Cooper released his legislative plan to combat gun violence in Maryland and to better ensure the safety of all our citizens.
The proposed legislative language reads:
WHEREAS firearms have taken the lives of far too many Americans; and,
WHEREAS firearms have increasingly been used in the perpetration of national tragedies; and,
WHEREAS current firearm regulations have proven insufficient at thwarting public massacres; and,
WHEREAS encouraging responsibility and accountability among gun owners is in the interests of all
THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED:
1. THAT all assault rifles, without exceptions for those firearms grandfathered in recent legislation, be
outlawed in Maryland.
2. THAT to provide for responsible gun ownership in Maryland, all firearms will be registered in a
statewide database and that all firearm registrations will be regularly renewed on a biannual (24 months)
3. THAT all firearms lacking registration with the state or having expired registrations be surrendered to the State and that the State proactively seek to retrieve and confiscate all firearms with expired registrations exceeding six months.
4. THAT every firearm recovered from the scene of a crime or discovered to be in the possession of a
convicted felon is cross-listed with this firearms registry database.
5. THAT to penalize straw purchasing of firearms, the owner of every firearm used in a homicide or
robbery be penalized in accordance with the determination of the Secretary for the crime regardless of their (non)-involvement in the crime.